Thursday, January 26, 2012

Not Crazy, Just Broken

Recently at church, we listened as a lady involved in a sexual abuse healing ministry got up to speak in front of the body.  She wanted to introduce someone who had been abused as a child and now, through the amazing healing power of God, wanted to share her story in the hopes it would encourage other victims to seek healing as well.  As she described the painful journey of this young woman, the audience listened intently, the only sound in the sanctuary the unfolding story of an abused child seeking healing as a adult.  The speakers voice gave way to emotion as she spoke of how proud she was of this young woman who had moved from a place of hiding to healing.  When she finished her introduction and the young lady stood from the audience to move to the microphone, there was a near audible gasp in the air.  The beautiful young woman who stood before us  was the wife of a ministry leader, a  college graduate with a successful career in the medical industry.  The mother of three beautiful children who owned a beautiful home.  Far from a wreck, she was, outwardly, in many ways what most people hope to be. With every eye upon her, she revealed her inner struggles through the years and the still small voice which led her to eventually join the group where she would come to find healing.  As she spoke, she revealed the moment of clarity when she discovered that she was  "not crazy, just broken, and I learned that I could find peace with other broken people". As she finished her story and left the stage to applause, her words resonated within me. What an amazing statement!...Not crazy, just broken. 


We were reminded on that Sunday that we are all broken.  Beneath our polished exteriors and pretty houses live hurting people in need of healing.  And what does that make us?  Exactly those who our savior came to save.  Matthew 9:12 tells us this beyond any doubt, He said, “It is not those who are healthy who need a physician, but those who are sick." The heart of our Lord aches for the wounded.  It breaks for the lost.  It identifies with the victim.  The Good Shepherd leaves the 99 to seek out the one.  The Father stands at the gate and longs for his sons return.  Our Savior saves. 

When my flesh accuses me as I fail again, when the enemy of our souls tells me I am the only one to ever feel this way.  When I believe the lies for so long they become as powerful in my life as the truth.  When I become so intent upon hiding my pain that I refuse to fully love for fear they will leave if they discover who I truly am.  When fear of the pain of rejection drives my isolation, I want to remember the words of truth as spoken by a courageous young woman.  

I wrote down those words on the back of a visitor card which I pulled from the chair in font of me as she spoke.  I put it in my pocket and it now sits on my desk.  I am thinking of having those words put on a plaque on my office wall at church.  " We are not crazy, just broken, and we have learned that we can find peace with other broken people".  AMEN.



No comments:

Post a Comment